Sailing Instructor Position for Summer 2021
Job Description: We are looking for skilled, enthusiastic and competent sailing instructors for our 2021 Summer Camp season. As a Sail Nauticus instructor, you will assist the program managers with daily instruction and operations. Instructors must also be able to comfortably and safely navigate a busy commercial waterway while ensuring a safe, organized and education experience for campers. Camps will run on weekdays between June 21 - July 30 and range from beginner sailing to the basics of coastal cruising.
About Sail Nauticus: Sail Nauticus is a Norfolk-based nonprofit community sailing center existing to positively inspire, instruct and impact Hampton Roads youth through the use of sailing and maritime science. We focus on teaching lifelong leadership, communication and teamwork skills through sailing and STEM education. Our youth programs include our summer camp, and our flagship program, the Sail Nauticus Academy. Both programs partner with area public schools and nonprofit organizations to enroll underserved youth ages 8-15.
Candidates must be able to work June 21 - July 30 (Monday - Friday), from 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
• Self-motivated team player
• Must be at least 16 years old
• Strong background and experience in sailing - training available for outstanding candidates
• Level 1, Level 2, Keelboat or USCG license preferred
• Must have VA (or other state) Safe Boaters License
• Be able to prepare lessons, Chalk Talks and other related daily activities
• Must hold current CPR/First Aid certifications
• Experience teaching children preferred; Must enjoy working with children
Compensation: $12 to $17 per hour dependent upon level of experience.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and sailing resume via email with the subject line “2021 Summer Instructor” to Annabelle Wax, Assistant Programs Manager, at email@example.com. For more information about our Summer Camp, please click here.
Sail Nauticus is seeking instructors to teach our offered US Sailing Basic Keelboat classes. Applicants will preferably have instructor certification. To apply for this opportunity, email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sail Nauticus Academy Youth Sailing Instructor/Mentor (Spring 2021)
Sail Nauticus is a non-profit community sailing center located at Nauticus in Downtown Norfolk. Our mission is to positively inspire, instruct, and impact Hampton Roads youth through sailing and maritime sciences. Our flagship initiative, the Sail Nauticus Academy, is a hands-on sailing and STEM education after-school program that focuses on teaching lifelong leadership, communication, and teamwork skills to Norfolk youth.
We consider our sailing instructors our most important asset, promoting our mission by teaching sailing, STEM curriculum, and important life skills both on and off the water. Our staff works with youth ages 10-14 as their teacher, mentor and friend, helping them navigate their way to becoming successful young adults.
We are looking for skilled, enthusiastic, and competent sailing instructors for our 2021 Spring Semester (March-June 5th). The Academy Instructor position is a part-time seasonal position that runs Monday through Thursday from 2:30-6:00 PM.
- Mentor students in soft-skills such as leadership, teamwork, communication, and confidence.
- Teach our sailing curriculum to 6th-8th grade Norfolk Public School students.
- Ensure safety of students and boats during program hours.
- Assist with boat maintenance as necessary.
- Provide feedback for student evaluations.
- Participate in staff training and development.
- Assist with other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Program Managers.
- Commit between the hours of 2:30-6pm, at least 1 day per week (Monday-Thursday) through the spring season.
- Self-motivated team player
- Sailing experience required (Level 1 Sailing or Basic Keelboat Certification preferred but not mandatory).
- Experience teaching children preferred; Must enjoy working with children.
- Current CPR/First Aid certification (must obtain no later than Spring Training).
- Current Virginia Safe Boating Certification (this is a free online course) or have a current USCG Captain License (must obtain no later than Fall Training).
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and sailing resume via email with the subject line “Sail Academy Instructor for Spring 2021” to Annabelle Wax, Assistant Programs Manager, at email@example.com. For more information about our youth programs, please click here.