Sailing Instructor Position for Summer 2019
Job Description: We are looking for fun, enthusiastic, and skilled sailing instructors for our 2019 summer camp season. Our instructors will help the Youth Programs Manager and Assistant Programs Manager with daily instruction and operations. If hired, you will help teach in one of our two youth summer camps, Sail Quest (8-15 year olds) and Sail Voyagers (11-15 year olds). Instructors are also required to occasionally help with our adult programs. You will also actively participate in upkeep of boats, equipment, and facilities. Instructors must be able to help prepare daily lesson plans and chalk talks along with providing a safe and fun environment for all campers.
About Sail Nauticus: Sail Nauticus is a Norfolk based non-profit community sailing center existing to positively inspire, instruct, and impact Hampton Roads youth through sailing and the maritime sciences. We are a year-round sailing center and our programs include our Summer Camps and our flagship after-school initiative, the Sail Nauticus Academy. These offerings focus on teaching lifelong leadership, communication, and teamwork skills. Both programs partner with local schools and non-profit organizations to enroll and engage children ages 8 to 15. About half of our children in attendance live at or below the poverty line. Our fleet of Harbor 20 keelboats that are easy to operate and ideal for the conditions on the Downtown Norfolk waterfront.
Job Requirements: Candidates must be able to start June 14th and continue through August 9th. Camps will run from the week of June 17th through the week of August 9th and range from beginning sailing to the basics of coastal cruising. Your hours during the week will be from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm Monday through Friday. Candidates must be able to work weekends as occasional weekend work is possible.
• Self-motivated team player
• Must be at least 18 years old
• Strong background and experience in sailing
• Level 1, Level 2 or Keelboat preferred
• Must have VA( or other state) safe boaters license
• Be able to prepare lessons, chalk talks, and other related activities daily
• Must hold current CPR/First Aid certifications
Compensation: $12 to $17 per hour dependent upon level of experience.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter, work resume, and sailing resume via email with the subject line “2019 Summer Instructor” to email@example.com
Sail Nauticus is seeking instructors for US Sailing Basic Keelboat classes. Applicants will preferably have instructor certification. Contact the adult programs manager with a resume to apply.
Sail Nauticus Academy Youth Sailing Instructor/Mentor (Spring 2019)
Sail Nauticus is a non-profit community sailing center located at Nauticus in Downtown Norfolk. Our mission is to positively inspire, instruct, and impact Hampton Roads youth through sailing and maritime sciences. Our flagship initiative, the Sail Nauticus Academy, is a hands-on sailing and STEM education after school program that focuses on teaching lifelong leadership, communication, and teamwork skills to Norfolk youth.
We consider our sailing instructors our most important asset, promoting our mission by teaching sailing, STEM curriculum, and important life skills both on and off the water. Our staff works with youth ages 10-14 as their teacher, mentor, and friend, helping them navigate their way to becoming successful young adults.
We are looking for skilled, enthusiastic, and competent sailing instructors for our 2019 Spring Semester(March-June 6th). The Academy Instructor position is a part-time seasonal position that runs Monday through Thursday from 2:30-6:00 PM.
- Mentor students in soft-skills such as leadership, teamwork, communication, and confidence
- Teach our sailing curriculum to 6th-8th grade Norfolk Public School students.
- Ensure safety of students and boats during program hours.
- Assist with boat maintenance as necessary.
- Provide feedback for student evaluations.
- Participate in staff training and development.
- Assist with other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Program Managers.
- Commit between the hours of 2:30-6pm, at least 1 day per week (Monday-Thursday) through the Spring season.
- Self-motivated team player
- Sailing experience required (Level 1 Sailing or Basic Keelboat Certification preferred but not mandatory)
- Experience teaching children preferred, must enjoy working with children
- Current CPR/First Aid certification (must obtain no later than Spring Training )
- Current Virginia Safe Boating Certification( this is a free online course) or have a current USCG Captain License (must obtain no later than Fall Training)
Pay is $17 per hour
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and sailing resume via email with the subject line “Sail Academy Instructor for Spring 2019” to Annabelle Wax at Annabelle.firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about our programs, please visit us at sailnauticus.org.