Sail Nauticus is seeking instructors for US Sailing Basic Keelboat classes. Applicants will preferably have instructor certification. Contact the adult programs manager with a resume to apply.
Sail Nauticus Academy Youth Sailing Instructor/Mentor (Spring 2020)
Sail Nauticus is a non-profit community sailing center located at Nauticus in Downtown Norfolk. Our mission is to positively inspire, instruct, and impact Hampton Roads youth through sailing and maritime sciences. Our flagship initiative, the Sail Nauticus Academy, is a hands-on sailing and STEM education after-school program that focuses on teaching lifelong leadership, communication, and teamwork skills to Norfolk youth.
We consider our sailing instructors our most important asset, promoting our mission by teaching sailing, STEM curriculum, and important life skills both on and off the water. Our staff works with youth ages 10-14 as their teacher, mentor and friend, helping them navigate their way to becoming successful young adults.
We are looking for skilled, enthusiastic, and competent sailing instructors for our 2020 Spring Semester (March-June 5th). The Academy Instructor position is a part-time seasonal position that runs Monday through Thursday from 2:30-6:00 PM.
- Mentor students in soft-skills such as leadership, teamwork, communication, and confidence.
- Teach our sailing curriculum to 6th-8th grade Norfolk Public School students.
- Ensure safety of students and boats during program hours.
- Assist with boat maintenance as necessary.
- Provide feedback for student evaluations.
- Participate in staff training and development.
- Assist with other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Program Managers.
- Commit between the hours of 2:30-6pm, at least 1 day per week (Monday-Thursday) through the spring season.
- Self-motivated team player
- Sailing experience required (Level 1 Sailing or Basic Keelboat Certification preferred but not mandatory).
- Experience teaching children preferred; Must enjoy working with children.
- Current CPR/First Aid certification (must obtain no later than Spring Training).
- Current Virginia Safe Boating Certification (this is a free online course) or have a current USCG Captain License (must obtain no later than Fall Training).
Pay is $17/hour
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and sailing resume via email with the subject line “Sail Academy Instructor for Spring 2020” to Annabelle Wax at email@example.com. For more information about our programs, please visit our Youth Programs tab at sailnauticus.org.